Published on 10 February 2026
The Edo State House of Assembly on Tuesday postponed its first plenary sitting for the 2026 legislative year following the discovery of bullets and gunshot marks on the roof of the Assembly complex.
The development triggered tension within the chambers as lawmakers and staff who arrived for the scheduled sitting were briefed on the security breach.
Confirming the incident, the Majority Leader of the House, Hon. Jonathan Ebamewu, said security agencies had been alerted and had commenced investigations to determine the circumstances surrounding the discovery.
He explained that the decision to postpone plenary was taken to enable security operatives to thoroughly comb the chambers and ensure the safety of legislators and staff.
“We were prepared to sit today when our attention was drawn to an incident in the complex,” Ebamewu said. “I immediately contacted the Commissioner of Police and the Department of State Services (DSS), and we have handed everything over to them to investigate and give us a comprehensive report.”
According to him, although members were eager to begin legislative business for the year, safety considerations made it necessary to suspend activities for the day.
“For now, everything is calm, but because of the incident, we may not be able to sit today. We want to allow the security agencies to properly comb the chambers and submit a report that will be satisfactory to everyone,” he added.
Ebamewu assured that the House remained resolute and undeterred by the incident, noting that legislative activities would resume as soon as security agencies give the all-clear.
As of the time of filing this report, operatives of the Edo State Police Command were carrying out a comprehensive security sweep of the Assembly complex, while investigations into the discovery of the bullets and gunshot marks continued.