Published on 16 February 2026
Anxiety has gripped football fans across the country as Nigerians await today’s verdict by FIFA on the petition filed by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) against the Democratic Republic of the Congo over alleged player ineligibility.
Nigeria had lost 4–3 on penalties to DR Congo in the African playoff final held in Morocco last November, a defeat that dashed the Super Eagles’ hopes of automatic qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, to be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
However, the NFF submitted a formal petition to FIFA on December 15, 2025, alleging that six Congolese players who recently switched international allegiance were ineligible to feature in the decisive encounter.
FIFA has since been reviewing the complaint and is expected to deliver its ruling today, Monday, February 16, 2026.
The outcome could have far-reaching implications for Nigeria’s World Cup ambitions. If the petition is upheld, the Super Eagles could be reinstated into the six-team Intercontinental Play-off slated for next month, with a final ticket to the World Cup at stake.
NFF General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, had earlier expressed confidence in Nigeria’s case, insisting that the federation would not pursue a frivolous claim.
“We have a good case,” Sanusi said. “As far as we are concerned, we have a strong case, and we are awaiting FIFA’s decision on the complaints we have lodged.”
Similarly, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, also voiced optimism, saying he was confident Nigeria would receive a favourable verdict.
Meanwhile, reports suggest that DR Congo is banking on internal influence within African and global football structures to counter the petition. According to Sports247, the Congolese camp is relying on the presence of the Confederation of African Football Secretary General, Véron Mosengo-Omba, a Congolese national, to bolster its case.
Mosengo-Omba, who previously worked at FIFA and is said to be close to FIFA President Gianni Infantino, is reportedly being counted on to lobby for a decision favourable to DR Congo.
The report added that some football officials from Francophone countries are allegedly involved in behind-the-scenes efforts, amid fears that FIFA could rule in Nigeria’s favour based on available evidence.
Observers, however, note that regardless of today’s outcome, the matter could still end up at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, should either party challenge FIFA’s decision.
FIFA’s ruling today is expected to finally determine whether Nigeria’s World Cup dream is revived or extinguished.